Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Inauguration day is the new Cinco de Mayo




With the amount of events happening nationwide yesterday in celebration of "Obama Day" I think 1/20/09 brought new meaning to presidential inaugurations in the United States. I'm not sure if no one was excited when Bush was inaugurated, or if I was just too teenage to care, but I have never before seen such widespread hope and a plethora of celebratory events to honor a new president. I joined in on the festivities in Forte Greene where nearly every restaurant, shop, and bar were offering specials and welcoming the neighborhood to celebrate this monumental day. We went to the Red Bamboo restaurant, a place which reminds me how good Vegan food can be. ALbeit, I do not fully understand the point of chowing down on soy chicken wings, but they were delicious nevertheless. The restaurant was offering free appetizers (before we arrived) and had other specials such as a cocktail called the "Obama." There was a dj and the inaugural ball was being projected on every single tv in the place. The overall atmosphere was that the entire neighborhood was out celebrating. It hosted all walks of life and the energy was phenomenal. People were dancing and having a great time. At that point it seems to me that January 20th will from now on be a sister holiday of Cinco de Mayo. Celebrating for a good cause, but ultimately, finding an excuse to celebrate!

Cheers to the most recent citizen-invoked holiday. Can't wait to do celebrate the memory of Inauguration Day 09 next year!

If you have a chance, please check out the Red Bamboo Restaurant. I recommend the buffalo wings, cerveza portabello, and Jamaican jerk chicken.

http://www.redbamboo-nyc.com/

No comments:

Post a Comment