- Vegetable oil
- Kosher salt
- 2 cups of cavatappi pasta
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 ounces (1/2 cup) Gruyere cheese, grated
- 3 ounces (1/3 cup) extra-sharp Cheddar, grated
- 2 ounces (1/4 cup) gorgonzola, crumbled
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- Pinch nutmeg
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white truffle oil
- 1/2 cup Panko (Japanese bread crumbs)
- 1 tablespoon chopped or dried basil
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
Drizzle oil into a large pot of boiling salted water. Add the macaroni and cook according to the directions on the package, 6 to 8 minutes. Drain well.
Meanwhile, heat the milk in a small saucepan, but don't boil it. Melt the butter in a medium pot and add the flour. Cook over low heat for 2 minutes, stirring with a whisk. While whisking, add the hot milk and cook for a minute or 2 more, until thickened and smooth. Lower the heat and add the Gruyere, Cheddar, blue cheese, 1 teaspoon salt, pepper, nutmeg and truffle oil. Add the cooked macaroni and stir well. Pour into baking dish.
Sprinkle panko and chopped basil over the top of the pasta. Bake for 35 to 40 minutes, or until the sauce is bubbly and the macaroni is browned on the top.